The State Final Examination is composed of four parts:
1. Theoretical conceptions of historical sociology
2. Historical-sociological research methods and data analysis
3. The optional specialized block as chosen by the student from the following:
Historical sociology of global politics and international relations
The theory of social change and modernization processes
Historical sociology of culture and quotidian
4. Thesis defence
To prepare for the oral examination each student will be provided with a preparation time of at least 20 minutes for each part, meaning one hour in all for the whole state final examination. Each part of the final exam is evaluated separately. Based on the assessment of the individual exam parts the chairman of the Commission assesses the score of the final exam.
Applications for state final exam can be submitted only after the fulfillment of all requirements, i.e. the achievement of 120 ECTS credits, the successful completion of all required compulsory courses, the completion of all optional courses and the completion of one of the three compulsory-optional blocks. One single application is necessary in order to apply for the entire state exam including the examinations of theoretical conceptions, research methods and the compulsory-optional block as well as the thesis defence. However, once students have submited their applications, the state exam and the thesis defence may take place on separate dates. Also students have to register in SIS.
The application for the exam and thesis defence is binding. Failure to submit an application with dates selected for the exams and defence will, in accordance with the study regulations, be viewed as a forfeiture of the student’s study.
Procedure for Submitting Applications
1. Download and complete the application form (which can be downloaded here).
2. Complete the applicationform and bring it to the department secretary during office hours, though not later than the date specified for that academic year.
The deadline for submitting applications in following state final exams' run is January 5, 2018.